Assess yourself to see if you’re addicted to work
Reading Time: 1
The Bergen Work Addiction Scale (BWAS) is a 7-item scale specially developed to assess workaholic behaviour using the same criteria as other tradition addictions: salience, mood modification, conflict, tolerance, withdrawal, relapse and problems.
You can assess yourself to see if you are addicted to work below.
Read each of the following statements and rate your experiences occurring over the past year as follows:
1 = Never, 2 = Rarely, 3 = Sometimes, 4 = Often and 5 = Always
- You think of how you can free up more time to work.
- You spend much more time working than initially intended.
- You work in order to reduce feelings of guilt, anxiety, helplessness or depression.
- You have been told by others to cut down on work without listening to them.
- You become stressed if you are prohibited from working.
- You deprioritize hobbies, leisure activities, and/or exercise because of your work.
- You work so much that it has negatively influenced your health.
Scoring 4 (often) or 5 (always) on four or more criteria identify a workaholic.
Contribute to BWAS research here.